½ Duplexes in North Vancouver Defined
Need more space but not quite ready for a detached house budget? Half duplexes offer a great compromise. Get the space plus potential secondary suite accommodation income or an extra bedroom plus a yard in a convenient location without paying the detached house budget. Half duplexes have lower strata fees and you’ll have fewer neighbours sharing the walls.
Half duplex homes are strata titled. The strata title will show exact square footage of the entire property, define each lot plus common property ownership. Most ½ duplexes in the Greater Metro Vancouver area detail separate outdoor space (yes, your own yard!) as belonging to the strata lot or ½ duplex for sale. It is very common to have a shared garage with separate walls, access and egress.
Benefits of owning a ½ duplex:
- Convenient, central locations as most communities prefer to locate this style of density closer to village or main shopping areas.
- Newer construction often offer secondary suite accommodation or Floor Space Ratios FSR up to 40% – that’s more living area than a house per city lot.
- Layout larger than townhome and can be either side/side or stacked
- Separate private address
- Off street parking and/or separate garage with storage
- No large strata government
- Fewer neighbours
- Low maintenance and shared major repair costs
Expect to pay half of the home insurance premium for exterior, earthquake, flood and fire. You’ll also be required to purchase separate homeowner contents insurance and most insurance firms offer a discount if purchased together. Other costs for ½ duplex home ownership could include planning for major capital repairs such as roof, drainage and siding.
Consider purchasing a new ½ duplex compared to a detached home
||Single Family Home
|Cost to purchase
|Square Foot Home per lot size
||Mid to high FSR
|Secondary Suite Accommodation
||Only if agreed to Bylaw and registered
As you can see from this table, there are very few differences between single family homes and ½ duplexes excluding density.